What do I need to know before having the fence installed?
You need to assess:
The purpose of the fence (privacy, pet or pool enclosure, property, etc.).
Where the fence will be located, (in existing location, new surveyed location, etc.)
What type of fence you want (materials, height, style, features and accessories).
When you plan to have the work completed.
At what depth do you set fence post?
Typically a 6′ fence post is set at 24″deep in concrete, 7′ fence 32″in concrete and 8′ is set 36″ in concrete.
Do I need to be home during the installation?
No, all we need is a contact phone number if we run into any unexpected issues.
What type of nails are used when installing the fence?
We use hot-dipped galvanized ring shank nails. Aluminum and Stainless can be installed also.
Do you offer paint or stain for my fence?
Yes we can power wash, paint and stain any fence, new and old.
What is a privacy fence made of?
Cedar is the most popular type of wood used for a privacy residential fence. All the framework and posts are made of treated pine.
Is it normal to have different shades of cedar in my pickets?
Yes, cedar is a natural product that is not treated in any way, because of this every tree is unique in color and grain.
Is Iron or Aluminum fence better?
They both have positive and negative attributes. Iron if pre-galvanized and powder coated can last a long time and is very durable. Aluminum on the other hand will last forever in the weather but costs more and is not as durable.
What kind of warranties do you offer?
We offer a One Year Workmanship Warranty.
Who collects from my neighbors when sharing costs?
We will collect. We like to have separate contracts for neighbors fence splits.
How to find a good fence company in the Houston area
So you have decided it is time to replace that old fence around your yard or add a new fence. Whether you are replacing an old fence or building a new one for the first time, there are many things to consider when making this important decision.
Things to consider when looking for a good fencing company:
- How long has the company been doing business?
- Does the company carry liability and workers’ compensation insurance?
- Get two or more recent references, which you can drive by and view their workmanship first hand or speak with the owners.
- Get at least two or three other bids, so you can compare not only price, but which one offers the most value for the money.
- Find a fencing company that will come out and take measurements and discuss options before giving you a price, because you will need to have an accurate estimate to make a good decision.
- Get a written contract so you know the total you will pay before work begins.
- What are their payment terms?
- What is their warranty?
- What is the estimated time of completion?
Where to find references:
- The best place to start asking about fencing companies is your family, friends and especially your neighbors. Other good sources of references include other contractors, management companies, and HOA. Your Home Owners Association may have restrictions on what kind of fence can be built, as well as colors. It’s always best to find out this information before you begin construction. They may also require you to submit plans, colors and an estimate to their architectural committee for approval before you begin.
Good questions to ask references:
- Were you happy with the quality provided by the fencing company? Everybody has their own ideas of quality, so you should take a look at their fence and judge for yourself. Pay attention to see if the fence posts are straight. Are there visible cracks between the boards that should overlap? Do the gates operate properly?
- How does it look…visually?
- If painted or stained, does the color look consistent?
- Does it feel solid?
- Did the fencing company clean up after themselves?
- Did they remove the old fence, and leave the yard clean after doing the work? Did they pick up nails or screws from the yard? If you are left to clean up after them, this will cost you more time, money and frustration.
Were they courteous and polite?
- This is a very important consideration. The entire experience, from beginning to end, needs to be as stress free as possible. Plus if the fence builder enjoys their job, the quality and attention to details will be better. The customers attitude can and will affect the entire fencing job. Hopefully this will be the first question you ask. If the answer to this question is “no” then do not go any further, you don’t want to work with that person.
Is a warranty included?
- A good fence company uses quality materials and has a high level of expertise. Most reputable fence companies carry a one year workmanship warranty.